Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Othello - racial slurs and stereotypes

Act one, scene one of Othello surprised me with some immediate racial slurs and stereotypes. I might not have picked up on as many of these that I did if I hadn't been reading from the Sparknotes website I mentioned in the previous post (while I did try reading the original version, I kept finding myself getting distracted by the translation which read through much faster).
Iago shows some true disrespect for the Othello when he goes to Brabantio to report that he was sleeping with (and secretly married to) his daughter, Desdemona. He refers to Othello, the Moor, as a "Barbary (African) horse" and goes on to say that he will have black, neighing grandchildren if he doesn't get a handle on his daughter. Earlier in the scene, he calls him "Thick Lips," which is clearly a racial slur.
The point I'm trying to make about all of this is that I'm surprised by how this kind of talk was apparently acceptable during Shakespeare's time. I'm sure it was the politically-correct, suburban atmosphere that I grew up in that taught me that it is not acceptable to refer to people in such a way. I guess it is naive of me to think that everyone has always been this way.
I also still can't help but be surprised that, even hundreds of years later, we are still dealing with biracial relationship issues. Wouldn't you think that we would have gotten over this obstacle by now? Seeing Shakespeare write about the types of social problems that we still deal with today really makes me wonder how we can be so slow in accepting the differences amongst the human race. We have made a lot of progress, but seeing the same problems displayed in Shakespearian times really demonstrates the slow rate at which the society of a human race can move when developing acceptance.
In the second scene of Act Two, there is a part that made me directly think of Hollywood nowadays. From lines 64 to 83, Barbantio is on a rant about how Othello needs to be arrested for black magic. How else could a Moor sway his innocent, law-abiding Italian daughter to marry him? This part is definitely straight out of a Hollywood film, where the daughter is told that she simply can't be with the man she loves becauase he is of a different race. In the movie Cruel Intentions, Cecile (a white girl) is told that she can't be with her cello instructor, Ronald simply because he is black. I can't even begin to name off all the movies or television shows out of Hollywood that tackle the race subject. Barbantino is so unwilling to accept the love between his daughter and Othello that he assumes there must be some sort of evil magic being used. Similarly, in Cruel Intentions, Cecile's mother accuses Ronald of acting on a bet instead of simply wanting to be with her daughter.

5 comments:

r4kijews said...

Yeah, we are still dealing with racial issues today but it is not as bad as it once was. It seems that people did not accept Othello as married to Desdemona but I think more people spoke under their breath and did not directly address the issue of a black man marrying a white woman.

Allen Webb said...

The racial images you quote from the play are disturbing. This might make for a very interesting paper...

christopher ross hussein said...

allen webb talks crap.
your blog is all right BUT could
have done better and your pictures
well...bull sorry
it's bad news.

Angelo Pudding said...

dear molly,
i did very much enjoy your white apologist essay on how racist people were "back then". good to know that you do not see race as an issue and you see yourself as intellectually gifted enough to draw parallels between othello and cruel intentions. i never thought that could have been done, but sure enough you have shown me the way. thank you for letting us know the names of the charcters in the works as well. what this essay would have been lacking if you did not mention that the cello teacher's name was ronald.
maybe you might want to look at yourself before trying to discredit mr shakespeare. just a thought but perhaps your essay relfects more on you than it does on him. i find you narrow-minded and self-centered in your writing of this entry. please endeavour to see things from a broader and more enlightened perspective in the future and be able to put your personal feelings aside at least to some degree so you dont come off as unsubstantiated.

Unknown said...

I do agree that the racial comments are obtuse and cruel. However, after reading many articles and essays and blogs concerning Othello and the racism within it, I find it interesting that Barbantio's response to Desdemona's confession of true love in Act 1, Scene 3, lines 183-191.
Upon hearing what his daughter has to say about how her and Othello came to be, Barbantio responds with this: Act 1, Scene 3, lines 192-195
Barbantio: God be with you! I have done.
Please it Your Grace, on to the state affairs.
I had rather to adopt a child then get it.
COme hither Moor (he joins the hands of Othello and Desdemona.)
I believe this is hugely over looked! I am not saying the race card dissapears, but it is clear that upon hearing his daughter's testimony of love, Barbantio blesses the two lovers. The matter is done and he tells the Duke to move on to the affairs of the state.
Seems to me that Iago is the racist instigator, but maybe it isn't as big of a deal to everyone else.